This is the archive of the goodrelations dicussion list

GoodRelations is a standardized vocabulary for product, price, and company data that can (1) be embedded into existing static and dynamic Web pages and that (2) can be processed by other computers. This increases the visibility of your products and services in the latest generation of search engines, recommender systems, and other novel applications.

[goodrelations] Great tool! - How to implement in XHTML + RDFa?

Martin Hepp (UniBW) martin.hepp at ebusiness-unibw.org
Thu Apr 9 14:37:01 CEST 2009

Hi Darren,
thanks for your interest. As for RDFa:

1.) There will be full-day tutorial on using GoodRelations and RDFa at
ESWC 2009, see
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations_Tutorial_ESWC2009

This will also be available via videolectures.net in July or August.

2.) We are working on a recipe for using GoodRelations with RDFa, the
"construction site" is at

http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations_Recipe_6

There is also a presentation showing it step by step,  see

http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/pubwiki/images/4/4d/Www8.pdf

(skip the first slides on RDFa in general).

In general, you can use both
a) one XHTML file for browsers and one RDF/XML file for the Semantic Web
or
b) one XHTML file plus embedded RDF = XHTML+RDFa for all in one.

The advantage of b) is that you have all data in one place, and for
simple dynamic Web sites, you just add a bit of attributes and have RDFa
embedded automatically.

For Semantic Web applications, both can be used - there are free
libraries for extracting RDF from RDFa, e.g.

http://www.w3.org/2007/08/pyRdfa/

A slight advantage of solution b) is also that the current Yahoo
SearchMonkey technology crawls only for RDFa embedded in XHTML content,
not for pure RDF/XML resources.

A downside of RDFa is that for complex data structures, it gets pretty
hard to create and maintain, since one is tangling data and presentation.

In the long run, I think RDFa will dominate for
a) pages based on static XHTML
b) PHP-based dynamic Web applications with pretty shallow RDF export needs.

Separate RDF/XML data dump files will dominate for more complex data or
when you want to feed frequently updated data into search engines
quickly (e.g. hotel room availability data).

As for Yahoo, we have an RDF2dataRSS tool prototype which allows the
conversion from RDF/XML to the Yahoo dataRSS feed format. With that
tool, you can use RDF/XML files for publishing your data and still push
it into Yahoo.

PS: If you want to use GoodRelations in RDFa, I recommend to first get
familiar with GoodRelations in RDF (RDF/XML or N3), then learn RDFa, and
then try to combine both. Starting with both at the same time adds
orders of magnitude of complexity. RDFa is simple for simple things, but
difficult for any advanced stuff.

Hope that helps!

Best

Martin