This is the archive of the goodrelations dicussion list

GoodRelations is a standardized vocabulary for product, price, and company data that can (1) be embedded into existing static and dynamic Web pages and that (2) can be processed by other computers. This increases the visibility of your products and services in the latest generation of search engines, recommender systems, and other novel applications.

[goodrelations] Introducing myself to the group

Martin Hepp (UniBW) martin.hepp at ebusiness-unibw.org
Fri Jan 9 08:01:12 CET 2009

Dear Alex:
Welcome to the mailing list and the GoodRelations community. Please make
sure you are using the new version of eClassOWL 5.1.4 from the following
locations:

a) eClassOWL 5.1.4 Products and Services Ontology (OWL):
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/ontologies/eclass/5.1.4/

(Warning: The file is very large - 38.3 MB for RDF/XML and 71.8 MB for HTML)

b) eClassOWL 5.1.4 Products and Services Ontology and documentation,
compressed (OWL + HTML, zip):
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/ontologies/eclass/5.1.4/eclass_514en.zip
(4.7 MB)

The version at http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/eclassowl/ is outdated
and not fully compatible with GoodRelations.

As for the structure of eClassOWL: This is determined by the class
structure of the eClass standard, from which eClassOWL is derived by
means of the algorithm explained in [1]. eClass is a broad,
multi-industry initiative for providing classes and attributes for
sourcing, mainly in the industrial sector. This is why parts of the
class hierarchy may seem unsuitable for procurement in the commodity /
B2C sector.

Note that using GoodRelations does not require using eClassOWL, too. In
fact. there are many scenarios in which other options are better, e.g.
creating your own ontology for the types of products ( see

http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/documentation/vocabulary-dev

for instructions).

You can also describe your articles just by textual labels and still
benefit from GoodRelations - all the commercial and logistical details
of the offering will then be fully machine-readable, while the search by
product types will be a bit limited. But often, that will still be a
good solution, in particular if your source data is not already
preclassified according to eClass.

Again, welcome to the crowd ;-)

Best wishes
Martin

PS: As for Jena snippets, I don't have any at hand - but there should be
plenty on the Web. You can also use

http://www.ldodds.com/projects/twinkle/

If I remember correctly, you can also get the source code.

As a first starter, though, I would look at the excellent Jena online doc.

Another hint: When starting, make sure that you keep properly apart
conceptual issues (OWL language, ...) and Jena. You should first
understand the underlying SW concepts and specifications before thinking
in Jena method calls etc.