This is the archive of the goodrelations dicussion list

GoodRelations is a standardized vocabulary for product, price, and company data that can (1) be embedded into existing static and dynamic Web pages and that (2) can be processed by other computers. This increases the visibility of your products and services in the latest generation of search engines, recommender systems, and other novel applications.

[goodrelations] More than e-commerce?

Martin Hepp (UniBW) martin.hepp at ebusiness-unibw.org
Sat May 23 18:41:15 CEST 2009

Hi Nicolas:

As soon as any brick-and-mortar business or pub around the corner is
publishing a one-page description of itself on the Web (or even gets
listed in a database-driven Web business registry), this business is
doing e-commerce.

This is the mainstream definition of e-commerce in academia and
practice: Using the Internet (or other open digital networks) for any
stage in the business transaction - from search to transactions. There
are of course different levels of e-commerce, from the the simple
presentation of features to end-to-end transaction processing. But as
soon as your business publishes its range of products or services on the
Web (or even only in the Web of Data), this is e-commerce.

And that is exactly what GoodRelations is designed for: improving search
and data interoperability for any business that is offering anything on
the Web.

Hope that clarifies the issue.

Best
Martin

--
martin hepp
e-business & web science research group

e-mail: mhepp at computer.org
phone:  +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:    +49-(0)89-6004-4620
www:    http://www.unibw.de/ebusiness/ (group)
 	http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:  mfhepp

Check out the GoodRelations vocabulary for E-Commerce on the Web of Data!

Webcast explaining the Web of Data for E-Commerce:
http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/

Tool for registering your business:
----------------------------------
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/tools/goodrelations-annotator/

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://www.semanticuniverse.com/articles-semantic-web-based-e-commerce-webmasters-get-ready.html

Project page and resources for developers:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/

Upcoming events:
Full-day tutorial at ESWC 2009: The Web of Data for E-Commerce in One Day: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey

http://www.eswc2009.org/program-menu/tutorials/70

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009: Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology

http://www.semantic-conference.com/session/1881/