This is the archive of the goodrelations dicussion list

GoodRelations is a standardized vocabulary for product, price, and company data that can (1) be embedded into existing static and dynamic Web pages and that (2) can be processed by other computers. This increases the visibility of your products and services in the latest generation of search engines, recommender systems, and other novel applications.

[goodrelations] foaf:page vs. foaf:topic

Stephane Corlosquet scorlosquet at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 14:37:02 CET 2010

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 7:02 AM, Martin Hepp (UniBW) <
martin.hepp at ebusiness-unibw.org> wrote:

> Dear all:
>
> In the context of the GoodRelations ontology, there is a regular need to
> link
>
> 1. a data entity (e.g. representing a company, a product, or an offer)
>
> with
>
> 2. the URI of a XHTML/HTML Web Resource that contains human-readable
> information about that entity (often combining the info for multiple such
> entities, i.e. it is NOT a direct representation of the data entity).
>
> Example: We define Microsoft as a business entity in our own namespace and
> want to preserve a link to the established, browsable resource.
>
> foo:microsoft a gr:BusinessEntity;
>                       gr:legalName "Microsoft Corp.".
>
> Up to now, we generally use and recommend rdfs:seeAlso for the link from
> the data entity to the Web page URI, e.g.
>
> foo:microsoft a gr:BusinessEntity;
>                       gr:legalName "Microsoft Corp.";
>                        rdfs:seeAlso <http://www.microsoft.com/>.
>
> Note that we cannot simply do content negotiation (i.e. redirect http
> requests for html to http://www.microsoft.com), because of practical and
> theoretical reasons. Also, content negotiation is IMO no substitute for a
> traversable link from the data node to the HTML node in the graph of data).
>
> The initial motivation for rdfs:seeAlso was that it does not require
> importing a second ontology like FOAF, and I would also hold that using
> rdfs:seeAlso is, in principle, correct.
>
> However, due to the growing amount of links on the Web of Linked Data,
> rdfs:seeAlso is now being used so frequently that it has become too
> unspecific for our purpose.
> If there are 20+ rdfs:seeAlso links from an entity,  e.g. to images and
> other resources, it's hard for a user agent to spot the single one link that
> points to the Web page, e.g. for actually buying a product.
>
> Now, the two main candidate predicates for replacing rdfs:seeAlso are IMHO
>
> 1. foaf:topic
> and
> 2. foaf:page.
>
> I have seen many usages of foaf:topic in such scenarios, but from reading
> the FOAF spec, I think that foaf:page is much more appropriate.

It's not about being more "appropriate" really since there are inverse of
each other, follow the domain/range to know which one to use, see
http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/#term_page

> Proposed Pattern:
>
> foo:microsoft a gr:BusinessEntity;
>                       gr:legalName "Microsoft Corp.";
>                       foaf:page <http://www.microsoft.com/>.
>
> foaf:topic could be used for linking back from the Web page URI to the data
> entity URI, e.g.
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/> foaf:topic foo:microsoft.

foaf:topic domain is foaf:Document, range is owl:Thing, it works.

> What's your opinion on that? Will that work with your software
> applications? Or should we use foaf:topic instead? If so, in which
> direction?
>
> Alternative 1:
>
> foo:microsoft a gr:BusinessEntity;
>                       gr:legalName "Microsoft Corp.".
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/> foaf:topic foo:microsoft.

ok.

> Alternative 2:
>
> foo:microsoft a gr:BusinessEntity;
>                       gr:legalName "Microsoft Corp.";
>                       foaf:topic <http://www.microsoft.com/>.
>
> I personally think that the second alternative is wrong, because the data
> entity does not describe the Web page, but vice versa.

Right, <http://www.microsoft.com/> is a foaf:Document, you should not use
this alternative.

Steph.