This is the archive of the goodrelations dicussion list

GoodRelations is a standardized vocabulary for product, price, and company data that can (1) be embedded into existing static and dynamic Web pages and that (2) can be processed by other computers. This increases the visibility of your products and services in the latest generation of search engines, recommender systems, and other novel applications.

[goodrelations] GoodRelations vs. Google RDFa vs. Open Graph vs. hProduct/hListing: Using GoodRelations in 10 Triples

Martin Hepp (UniBW) martin.hepp at ebusiness-unibw.org
Mon May 3 10:38:04 CEST 2010

Dear all:

Some people think that the GoodRelations ontology for e-commerce
(http://purl.org/goodrelations/) is powerful, but complex.
I think it is important for everybody in the community to know that
GoodRelations can be as simple (or simpler) than any more lightweight
approach for product markup, as long as you compare the same level of
granularity.

Below, please find an example of offering a car for sales in just ten
(!) triples.

Of course, you can do more with GoodRelations than just encoding a price
and carrying the semantics of the product itself in a string.

The important message in here is that simple chunks of data are as
simple in GoodRelations as they are in hProduct/hListing microformats,
Google's RDFa vocabulary, or the Open Graph product markup.

The key difference is that GoodRelations has a much more extensible and,
in my biased ;-) judgement: cleaner, conceptual model so that IF you
have more granular data available, THEN you can expose it, and make your
products more findable on the Web.

For example, GoodRelations distinguishes between products and product
models / datasheets. That allows for powerful linking between individual
items and rich technical specifications from the manufacturer's page.

The Open Graph approach seems to use a plain "topic" semantics, which
mixes items, datasheets, and offers.

Please keep that in mind and spread the word.

Here is the markup.

Best wishes

Martin

Turtle/N3:
=========
@prefix foo: <http://www.example.com/xyz#> .
@prefix gr: <http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#> .
@prefix xsd: <http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#> .
@prefix rdfs: <http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#> .

foo:company a gr:BusinessEntity;
     gr:legalName "Hepp Space Ventures Inc.";
     gr:offers foo:offering.

foo:offering a gr:Offering;
     rdfs:label "Volkswagen Station Wagon, 4WD, 400 $"@en;
     rdfs:description "I sell my old Volkswagen Station Wagon, 4WD, for
400 $"@en;
     gr:hasPriceSpecification
         [ a gr:UnitPriceSpecification;
             gr:hasCurrencyValue "400"^^xsd:string;
             gr:hasCurrency "USD"^^xsd:string. ].

RDFa:
====
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
xmlns:gr="http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#"
xmlns:foo="http://www.example.com/xyz#"
xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#">
$" xml:lang="en"></div>
Station Wagon, 4WD, for 400 $" xml:lang="en"></div>
datatype="xsd:string"></div>

RDF/XML:
=======

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<rdf:RDF xmlns:gr="http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#"
xmlns:foo="http://www.example.com/xyz#"
xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#"
xmlns:rdfs="http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#">
<gr:BusinessEntity rdf:about="http://www.example.com/xyz#company">
<gr:legalName>Hepp Space Ventures Inc.</gr:legalName>
<gr:offers>
<gr:Offering rdf:about="http://www.example.com/xyz#offering">
<rdfs:label xml:lang="en">Volkswagen Station Wagon, 4WD, 400 $</rdfs:label>
<rdfs:description xml:lang="en">I sell my old Volkswagen Station Wagon,
4WD, for 400 $</rdfs:description>
<gr:hasPriceSpecification>
<gr:UnitPriceSpecification>
<gr:hasCurrencyValue
rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string">400</gr:hasCurrencyValue>
<gr:hasCurrency
rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string">USD</gr:hasCurrency>
</gr:UnitPriceSpecification>
</gr:hasPriceSpecification>
</gr:Offering>
</gr:offers>
</gr:BusinessEntity>
</rdf:RDF>

--
martin hepp
e-business&  web science research group

e-mail:  hepp at ebusiness-unibw.org
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
          http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:   mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp

Project page:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/

Resources for developers:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations

Webcasts:
Overview - http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/
How-to   - http://vimeo.com/7583816

Recipe for Yahoo SearchMonkey:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations_and_Yahoo_SearchMonkey

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"
http://www.slideshare.net/mhepp/semantic-webbased-ecommerce-the-goodrelations-ontology-1535287

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://www.semanticuniverse.com/articles-semantic-web-based-e-commerce-webmasters-get-ready.html

Tutorial materials:
ISWC 2009 Tutorial: The Web of Data for E-Commerce in Brief: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/Web_of_Data_for_E-Commerce_Tutorial_ISWC2009