This is the archive of the goodrelations dicussion list

GoodRelations is a standardized vocabulary for product, price, and company data that can (1) be embedded into existing static and dynamic Web pages and that (2) can be processed by other computers. This increases the visibility of your products and services in the latest generation of search engines, recommender systems, and other novel applications.

[goodrelations] Good Relations and aCl at ss Ontologies translations

Martin Hepp (UniBW) martin.hepp at ebusiness-unibw.org
Sat May 8 11:58:00 CEST 2010

Dear all:

Apologies for my overly late reply.

GoodRelations is available in English only, because a high-quality
translation into other languages will be too costly, and a bad one will
do more harm than good. The main problem is that natural languages have
frequently no exact translations for very precise technical terms, since
words are often biased by context etc.

Personally, I do not think that translating GoodRelations into any other
language than Chinese should be priority issue, because many relevant
technical documentations are available in English only.

I do see a need for good tutorials / examples of using GoodRelations in
other natural languages. For example, I would be very happy (and
explicitly grant any necessary rights)  if volunteers will translate the
Quickstart Guide at

http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelationsQuickstart

If you do so, please send me the link.

As for products and services ontologies related to GoodRelations:

- eClassOWL 5.1.4 is available in English only. In theory, we could
produce versions in German and French, but 5.1.4 is a research prototype
only, and licensing issues prevent us from offering translations.

- We are evaluating the chances for eClass 6.x, i.e. proper transcripts
from the new eClass 6.x family. That will support multiple languages,
but it will likely require that you become a member of eClass e.V. to
get access to translations.

- freeClass, an ontology for the construction and building materials
industry, is available in English, German, Czech, Italian, Romanian,
Slovenian, Hungarian, and Polish.

http://www.freeclass.eu/freeclass_v1.html

Best wishes

Martin Hepp

--
martin hepp
e-business&  web science research group

e-mail:  hepp at ebusiness-unibw.org
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
          http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:   mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp

Project page:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/

Resources for developers:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations

Webcasts:
Overview - http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/
How-to   - http://vimeo.com/7583816

Recipe for Yahoo SearchMonkey:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations_and_Yahoo_SearchMonkey

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"
http://www.slideshare.net/mhepp/semantic-webbased-ecommerce-the-goodrelations-ontology-1535287

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://www.semanticuniverse.com/articles-semantic-web-based-e-commerce-webmasters-get-ready.html

Tutorial materials:
ISWC 2009 Tutorial: The Web of Data for E-Commerce in Brief: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/Web_of_Data_for_E-Commerce_Tutorial_ISWC2009