This is the archive of the goodrelations dicussion list

GoodRelations is a standardized vocabulary for product, price, and company data that can (1) be embedded into existing static and dynamic Web pages and that (2) can be processed by other computers. This increases the visibility of your products and services in the latest generation of search engines, recommender systems, and other novel applications.

[goodrelations] Fwd: Google Penalizes Overstock for Search Tactics - WSJ.com

Martin Hepp martin.hepp at ebusiness-unibw.org
Thu Feb 24 12:17:08 CET 2011

Hi Barbara,

Thanks for the link. As far as I understand, Google did not penalize anybody for linking to Overstock.com item pages via "semantic" links, i.e., in RDF statements. They seem to have filtered out the positive effect of someone from an .edu domain linking to a particular item page.

So, if someone at Stanford would link from a stanford.edu page to

  www.overstock.com/Electronics/Bell-and-Howell-DV550UW-12MP-Digital-Video-Camera-with-Underwater-Housing/4450313/product.html

and discussing it as an example of GoodRelations usage, Google would no longer count this with the full stanford.edu page rank. That seems reasonable to me.

In my opinion, this cannot have a major effect on the 900,000 overstock.com pages in breadth, since academic post will usually mention only 1 - 2 URIs.

So if this correction is properly implemented by Google, it should only correct the excessive inbound pageranks for 0.0001 % of the item pages.

And again, the WSJ report is not about "semantic" links in RDF triples, but about a correction method against "social link building" to overstock.com pages from pagerank-strong .edu Web content.

The bad ranking of some pages reported seems to be the result of Google "overshooting" a bit with their correction factor.

Best
Martin Hepp