This is the archive of the goodrelations dicussion list

GoodRelations is a standardized vocabulary for product, price, and company data that can (1) be embedded into existing static and dynamic Web pages and that (2) can be processed by other computers. This increases the visibility of your products and services in the latest generation of search engines, recommender systems, and other novel applications.

[goodrelations] "We are closed on mondays..."

László Török ltorokjr at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 14:36:47 CEST 2011

Hi,

2011/7/15 Ludger A. Rinsche <ludger.rinsche at unibw.de>

> I know that gr:opens has only the range xsd:time, but shouldn’t something
> like****
>
> ** **
>
> foo:openMo2Fr a gr:OpeningHoursSpecification;****
>
>     gr:opens "false"^^xsd:boolean;****
>
>     gr:hasOpeningHoursDayOfWeek gr:Monday . ****
>
> ** **
>
> be possible instead of using something like****
>
> ** **
>
> foo:openMo2Fr a gr:OpeningHoursSpecification;****
>
>     gr:opens "00:00:00"^^xsd:time;****
>
>     gr:closes "00:00:01"^^xsd:time;****
>
>     gr:hasOpeningHoursDayOfWeek gr:Monday . ****
>
> ** **
>
> or not providing any data and hoping that it will be understood as
> “closed”?

Infering any kind of implicit meaning from missing data is usually a bad
practice and can have serious consequences.

Just as in programming languages it is bad practice to assume undefined
(null) == false.

Although such inference is possible, it is probably safer to create an empty
OpeningHoursSpecification for gr:Monday with an optional label attached to
it:

foo:closedOnMo a gr:OpeningHoursSpecification;
          gr:hasOpeningHoursDayOfWeek gr:Monday;
          rdfs:label "Closed on Monday."@en

 Regards,

Laszlo