This is the archive of the goodrelations dicussion list

GoodRelations is a standardized vocabulary for product, price, and company data that can (1) be embedded into existing static and dynamic Web pages and that (2) can be processed by other computers. This increases the visibility of your products and services in the latest generation of search engines, recommender systems, and other novel applications.

[goodrelations] Facebook Open Graph and http://www.productontology.org

Martin Hepp martin.hepp at ebusiness-unibw.org
Thu Mar 17 15:45:54 CET 2011

Hi Paul,

I just created two pages

    http://www.heppnetz.de/facebook-pto1.html (with ONE ogp:type statement from www.productontology.org) and
    http://www.heppnetz.de/facebook-pto2.html (with TWO ogp:type statements, ogp:type="product" and ogp:type="Laser_printer" from www.productontology.org)

Linter does not like two ogp:type statements :-( ("Warning: Duplicate tags -You used "type" multiple times, but it should only appear once")

Are there any downsides of using ONLY ogp:type="pto:xyz" and omitting ogp:type="product"?

For more powerful Facebook applications, it would be really, really good if site-owners added specific PTO types. On the other hand I fear that many may not want to omit ogp:type="product", since standard applications may then not discover that the page covers a product.

Or am I wrong and you can recommend using PTO types without hesitation?

Martin

PS: Attached is the demo markup:

	xmlns:og="http://ogp.me/ns#"
    xmlns:fb="http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml"
	xmlns:pto="http://www.productontology.org/id/"
	xmlns:gr="http://purl.org/goodrelations/v1#">
<head>
	<title>HP Photosmart e-All-in-One Printer - D110a (OGP + GoodRelations)</title>
        content="Print lab-quality photos, everyday documents, and Web
content on the fly, without Using a PC. HP ePrint and integrated wireless
make it easy to share our Photosmart e-All-in-One‹D110a with multiple PCs
and print from any room in your home."/>
</head>

Demo page for combining Facebook Open Graph Protocol with http://www.productontology.org
<!-- GoodRelations markup to be added -->