This is the archive of the goodrelations dicussion list

GoodRelations is a standardized vocabulary for product, price, and company data that can (1) be embedded into existing static and dynamic Web pages and that (2) can be processed by other computers. This increases the visibility of your products and services in the latest generation of search engines, recommender systems, and other novel applications.

[goodrelations] Can gr:Location be used for virtual locations?

Bene Rodriguez beroca at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 01:20:38 CET 2012

Hi Osma,

Interesting modeling scenario.
I see the motivation to the changes you propose to gr:Location,
however as you mention, gr:Location is intended to represent a real,
physical location. In that sense, under the current definition,
regarding question:

1. Subclassing gr:Location to represent non-physical locations can be
seen as contradictory because "a non-physical location" is not really
a subtype/subclass of a "physical location".

2. I believe changes to the definition of gr:Location (to represent
both physical and non-physical locations) are not being considered for
now, afaik...

However, there is an approach that could address your modeling
scenario and that would fit into the current GRs schema.
You could extend the class gr:DeliveryMethod with new individuals (or
even classes, depending on your ultimate needs) to represent the means
of providing (offering) the product or service that you mention (day
care, medical assistance, library), i.e. something along the line of
foo:DeliveryMethodPhone, or foo:DeliveryMethodWeb, etc.

You could also add to that, an additional extension similar to the
approach used in the Accommodation Ontology (a curated extension to
GRs in that domain -- see: http://purl.org/acco/ns#) with the object
property acco:availabilityTimes that relates a specific accommodation
feature with the particular gr:OpeningHoursSpecification (some
examples here: http://ontologies.sti-innsbruck.at/acco/ns.html#Examples).

It would take some more time and a bit more information about the
modeling scenarios, to bring together the conceptual elements of these
extensions to the GRs ontology to craft examples in the context of the
3 modeling cases you mention, (day care, medical assistance, library),
however in the meantime, I thought I would point out these two ideas
in case they help.

Best,
Bene Rodriguez
--
Research Associate
E-Business and Web Science Research Group
email: benedicto.rodriguez at ebusiness-unibw.org
web:   http://purl.org/beroca