This is the archive of the goodrelations dicussion list

GoodRelations is a standardized vocabulary for product, price, and company data that can (1) be embedded into existing static and dynamic Web pages and that (2) can be processed by other computers. This increases the visibility of your products and services in the latest generation of search engines, recommender systems, and other novel applications.

[goodrelations] Marking up services

Martin Hepp martin.hepp at ebusiness-unibw.org
Wed Sep 18 19:30:55 CEST 2013

In GoodRelations and schema.org, there are, in theory, no mandatory properties, so you can always omit something.
Of course, this may reduce the ability of a client to understand your data.

In the case of rich snippets, Google requires certain properties in order to show a snippet. So if you ommit the price, you will only get reviews and maybe availability information in a snippet, or no snippet at all.

Note that structured data is used in many other ways than just rich snippets by search engines, so it makes sense to add mark-up even if you cannot get a snippet.

Martin

On Sep 18, 2013, at 7:25 PM, David Deering wrote:

> Thank you for response, Martin, and for those suggestions.  But what if, because the price would vary so much, that you would prefer not to list a price?  Is that even possible, or would the markup not validate and/or would the rich snippet not display in search results?  For example, what if the service was web design?  Prices for web design services could vary wildly, from $1000 to $25,000.  So would I still be obligated to list the price or price range with the service or can I leave it out of the markup?
>

> David Deering
> Touch Point Digital Marketing
> (504) 875-2225
> david at touchpointdigital.net touchpointdigitalmarketing.com
>

> On 9/18/2013 12:01 PM, Martin Hepp wrote:
>> David:
>> Quickly told: If you have different prices for different offers (e.g. men's haircut vs. women's haircut), then use TWO gr:Offering / schema:Offer entities with respective prices.
>>
>> Another solution is to model the generic service ("haircut for men and women") and indicate the price as a range.
>>
>> An example (yet from pre-schema.org times and not 100% valid according to today's standards) is
>>

>> http://plushbeautybar.com/services.html
>>

>> See also
>>

>> http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelationsService
>>

>> Best
>>
>> Martin
>>
>> On Sep 18, 2013, at 6:32 PM, David Deering wrote:
>>

>>> Hi, could anyone please give me an example of how I could mark up a business service with GoodRelations when the price of the service varies for each customer (for example, a haircut or some type of repair) ?  Can I leave out the price somehow?  And what if the service is performed at the place of business where there is no "delivery"?  How could I mark that up so that the rich snippet will actually display?  If anyone has an example of how I might be able to do that, I'd appreciate it very much if you could post it. Thanks in advance for your time and help.
>>>
>>> David

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen