This is the archive of the goodrelations dicussion list

GoodRelations is a standardized vocabulary for product, price, and company data that can (1) be embedded into existing static and dynamic Web pages and that (2) can be processed by other computers. This increases the visibility of your products and services in the latest generation of search engines, recommender systems, and other novel applications.

[goodrelations] [Fwd: Re: ANN: The GoodRelations Annotator: How any business can get onto the Web of Data - today!]

Martin Hepp (UniBW) martin.hepp at ebusiness-unibw.org
Thu Apr 9 08:20:29 CEST 2009

Fyi
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: ANN: The GoodRelations Annotator: How any business can get
onto the Web of Data - today!
Date: 	Thu, 09 Apr 2009 08:15:26 +0200
From: 	Martin Hepp (UniBW) <martin.hepp at ebusiness-unibw.org>
To: 	giovanni.tummarello at deri.org
CC: 	semantic-web at W3C <semantic-web at w3c.org>
<210271540904081257k108b5f33s59450c2d4e251dc7 at mail.gmail.com>

Hi Giovanni,

Giovanni Tummarello wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> this is brilliant,

Thanks.
> my concern however is that the semantic is dropped when you get to
> what exactly you sell. I mean you do allow certain predefined
> categories but then the description of what you actually sell is left
> to the text.
>
> It would be cool to allow e.g. links to dbpedia for the kind of things
> you sell. I am afraid as it is you get very very close to a great
> enabling thing but might be stopping a step shorter? what do you think?

This is just a constraint of the tool, not of the GoodRelations
ontology. The tool should be useable by any SME in teh world in five
minutes. This prohibits complexity (I am not sure how many hotels owners
in Canada know dbPedia at this point in time...).

In GoodRelations, you have at least three options for describing WHAT
you are selling:

a) Use an existing, fully-fledged products or services ontology (e.g.
eClassOWL). Many such ontologies are available or close to an official
release.
eClassOWL allows a much more fine grained description of the item, e.g.
by ranges on properties etc.
See

   http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/primer/

and

http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/primer/#3.4_Step_2:_Products_and_Offerings

for details.

b) Turn an proprietary structure (e.g. a large merchant's catalog
structure) into a proprietary ontology for products and services and
describe your items by references to that structure.
This approach is (partly) described in

http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/documentation/vocabulary-dev

The advantage is that you don't put a lot of burden on the publisher to
lift his/her data. Alignments with other structures can then be
established incrementally, elsewhere, and by someone else.

c) Describe the item lexically only.
Example:
default:SonyCellPhoneModel_s1234
      a gr:ProductOrServiceModel ;
      rdfs:comment "Sony cell phone model s1234, water-proof,
shock-resistant"^^xsd:string ;
      rdfs:seeAlso <http://www.sony.com/cellphones/s1234/> ;

In this case, you formally know only that what is being sold is a
ProductOrServiceModel (or gr:ActualProductOrService or
gr:ProductOrServicesSomeInstancesPlaceholder), and that it is described
by a string that contains certain words.

But that may already be quite useful for queries - you can search for
something that is a product and whose textual description contains the
word "phone". And you have access to all commercial properties in a
machine-readable way.

I assume that we can eventually get a really huge data cloud of product
and offering data on the Web pretty soon.

Once that is done, we can start using all kinds of semantic technologies
to establish links and alignments between the variants a), b), and c).

Recipes and more developer information is also available in the Wiki at

http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations

Best
Martin
http://www.heppnetz.de