This is the archive of the goodrelations dicussion list

GoodRelations is a standardized vocabulary for product, price, and company data that can (1) be embedded into existing static and dynamic Web pages and that (2) can be processed by other computers. This increases the visibility of your products and services in the latest generation of search engines, recommender systems, and other novel applications.

[goodrelations] PhD/PostDoc Positions in Semantic Web, Web Science, and E-Business - Deadline December 15, 2010

Martin Hepp martin.hepp at ebusiness-unibw.org
Thu Dec 2 23:37:39 CET 2010

The E-Business and Web Science Research Group (Prof. Hepp) at
Universitaet der Bundeswehr in Munich, Germany invites applications
for several fully funded PhD positions and one Post-doc position in
the field of Semantic Web, Web Science, and E-Business Research.

We are a young team of researchers with backgrounds in information
systems, conceptual modeling, economics, computer science, and related
disciplines. Our main goal is to find practically relevant and
scientifically significant results that help coordinate human activity
over the Web. A flagship example of our recent work is the
GoodRelations technology for e-commerce, adopted by major Web
companies like Google, Yahoo, BestBuy, Overstock.com, and many others.

Research topics for the positions:
    * Linked Data and the Semantic Web
    * Recommender Systems
    * Data Quality
    * Ontology Engineering
    * Economics of Semantic Technology
    * Social Commerce
    * Micropayment

We offer...
     * a stimulating research environment with people who are working
on leading edge problems of the future World Wide Web and novel E-
Business scenarios,
     * a „small think-tank“ atmosphere, in which experienced seniors
are still deeply involved in actual research,
     * excellent ties to the international research community,
     * guidance on how to publish your best findings in good
conference proceedings and peer-reviewed journals , and last but not
least
     * the supervision and continuous, timely feedback that you need
to achieve great results and complete your PhD in a 3 – 3.5 years time-
frame.

The salary will be according to the German TVOED E13 scheme for the
PhD positions (75 ...100%, depending on profile and experience) and
E14 for the post-doc position (100%).

We expect...
     * a sincere interest in the technical, socia, or economic aspects
of the World Wide Web, ideally related to E-Business,
     * the willingness to contribute the „99% perspiration“ (Thomas
Alva Edison) that is needed to carry a great idea forward until it
yields a validated result: a prototype, a statistically significant
improvement, or similar,
     * excellent English skills in speaking and writing, and
     * a master’s degree or equivalent in business management,
computer science, information systems, economics, or a related subject.

A plus would be any of the following skills:
     * Conceptual modeling (in particular in UML, ER, ORM, or BPMN)
     * Good knowledge of the current WWW technology stack (Web
architecture, XML and related technologies, Web protocols, etc.)
     * RDF, OWL, SPARQL expertise
     * Programming skills in Java, PHP, or Python, ideally with RDF APIs
     * Economics and Business Management
     * Databases
     * Statistics

We very much appreciate if you develop prototypes or supervise the
development of prototypes of your work, unless that is not applicable
to your type of research question.

If you have a deep interest in driving forward the World Wide Web both
as a technology and tool and as a social environment, we would be
happy hear from you.

Please submit your application in English by e-mail (mandatory) with
all documents as PDF attachments (mandatory) to martin.hepp at unibw.de,
no later than December 15, 2010.

Your application should include the following documents:
1. Cover letter
2. CV
3. Academic credentials
4. Title and abstract of your Master's thesis
5. List of publications (if any)

For further information, see also our following Web pages:

GoodRelations research project:
- http://purl.org/goodrelations/
- http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations

Recent publications:
- http://www.heppnetz.de/publications/

Research vision:
- http://www.unibw.de/ebusiness/research/

Best regards

Martin Hepp

Dr. Martin Hepp, Professor of General Management and E-Business
Bundeswehr University Munich
Werner-Heisenberg-Weg 39
D-85579 Neubiberg, Germany
http://www.unibw.de/ebusiness/research/